Sandwich panel roll forming machines are used to produce sandwich panels, which are structural panels made by sandwiching a core of insulation material between two skins of metal. Sandwich panels are widely used in industrial, commercial and residential building construction for walls, roofs and cold storage applications due to their high strength-to-weight ratio and excellent thermal insulation properties.
This comprehensive guide provides detailed information on various aspects of sandwich panel roll forming machines to help manufacturers, buyers and engineers understand their working, selection criteria, applications and more.
Overview of Sandwich Panel Roll Forming Machines
Sandwich panel roll forming is a continuous production process for manufacturing sandwich panels. In this process, the sheet metal coils for the panel skins are fed into the roll forming machine along with the core insulation material. As the materials pass through the different roller stations in the machine, they are gradually bent into the desired panel profile. The top and bottom skins get attached to the insulation core to produce a continuous length of the sandwich panel which is cut into required lengths by end cutters.
Machines de formage de panneaux sandwich allow quick and efficient production of sandwich panels in a wide range of specifications. Key features of these machines include:
- High production speeds up to 25 m/min
- Capability to make panels up to 1250 mm width
- Flexibility to produce different panel thicknesses and profiles
- Integrated skin embossing and punching options
- Automatic core feeding and gluing system
- User-friendly controls and recipe management software
These machines require less manpower compared to traditional sandwich panel production methods. The finished panels from the roll former have a uniform profile with good dimensional accuracy. advanced roll forming machines also enable inline printing and protective film lamination.
Main Components of Sandwich Panel Roll Forming Lines:
- Uncoiler and guiding system for feeding sheet metal coils
- Roll forming stations to bend the sheets into profiles
- Core insulation feeding and gluing system
- Top and bottom skin forming units
- Pneumatic, servo or hydraulic press station
- End cutters to cut panels to length
- Automatic stacker for finished panels
- Control panel with HMI
- Optional – Protective film laminating unit
- Optional – Inkjet printer
Types of Sandwich Panel Roll Forming Machines
Based on the type of metal sheets used, sandwich panel roll forming machines are categorized as:
|Steel Roll Forming Machine||Most common type designed to process steel coils for making steel sandwich panels. Suitable for both pre-painted steel and galvanized steel coils.|
|Aluminum Roll Forming Machine||Designed specifically for soft aluminum coils which require specialized tooling and feeding system. Used for producing aluminum composite panels.|
|Stainless Steel Roll Forming Machine||Used forroll forming stainless steel coils into SS sandwich panels for specialized applications. Require anti-corrosive components.|
Other ways to classify sandwich panel roll forming machine types include:
- Machines for wall vs roof sandwich panels
- Machines for cold room sandwich panels
- Small capacity, medium capacity and high capacity machines
- Manual, semi-automatic and fully automatic sandwich panel lines
- Customized or standard machine designs
Main Technical Specifications
The major technical parameters and specifications to consider for sandwich panel roll forming machines are:
Sandwich Panel Roll Forming Machine Specifications
|Vitesse de production||10 - 25 m/min|
|Maximum Coil Width||Jusqu'à 1250 mm|
|Thickness Range||40 – 200 mm|
|Insulation Core Thickness||20 – 180 mm|
|Minimum Panel Length||2 – 3 meters|
|Length Accuracy||± 1 – 2 mm|
|Consommation électrique||25 – 60 kW|
|Tension||380V, 3 Phase, 50 Hz|
|Poids de la machine||8000 - 15000 kg|
|Stations de formage de rouleaux||16 – 24|
The production speed, panel width and thickness range, power rating and other parameters differ based on the capacity and model of the machine. Customized sandwich panel lines can be engineered to suit specific requirements of the buyer.
Major Components and Functional Mechanism
The major sub-systems and functional workflow in a sandwich panel roll forming machine line are explained below:
Uncoiling and Feeding Unit
- Sheet metal coils of the required thickness are loaded on an uncoiler mandrel
- The sheet gets unrolled through an precision guiding system
- Feed rollers controlled by servomotors feed the sheet at the required speed into the roll former
Stations de formage de rouleaux
- Progressive roll forming stations bend the sheet in stages into trapezoidal, sinusoidal or other custom profiles
- Number of stations vary from 16 to 24 depending on the profile
- Each station has a roller set for bending the sheet incrementally
- Rollers are machined and ground to precise shapes
- Stations may include profiling, flattening, heating, punching operations
Insulation Core Feeding
- Rigid foam like PIR, PUR or PF core is loaded in stacks onto a feeding system
- Core gets picked up by suction cups and fed between the top and bottom metal sheets
- Roller press squeezes the core between the sheets as glue is applied
Pressing and Cutting
- Hydraulic press compresses the sandwich panel being formed
- End cutting unit with circular saw trims panel to specified lengths
- Cut panels are transferred to the exit conveyor
Electrical Panel and Software
- PLC based control panel for controlling the motors, cylinders and automation
- HMI touchscreen allows operator data input and machine control
- Software manages recipe storage and SCADA functions
Film Laminating and Printing
- Optional modules for applying a protective film layer
- Corona surface treatment improves film adhesion
- Inkjet printer used for inline printing and decorative finish
Stacking and Exit Conveyor
- Formed panels automatically stacked at the exit
- Roller conveyor transfers stacked panels for bundling
Major Production Processes Done on the Line
The major manufacturing processes integrated in a sandwich panel roll forming machine line are:
- Uncoiling and de-coiling of sheet metal coils
- Progressive roll forming of top and bottom sheets
- Joining and gluing insulation core between metal sheets
- Continuous sandwich panel production
- End cutting and trimming of panels
- Film lamination on panel surface
- Printing graphics and patterns on panels
- Automatic stacking and bundling of finished panels
Roll forming allows continuous production of sandwich panels without width restrictions. The automated core filling minimizes labor and avoids errors. Advanced machines also integrate inline quality inspection systems and data logging mechanisms.
Applications and End Uses of Sandwich Panels
Sandwich panels produced by these roll forming lines find widespread applications in:
Sandwich Panel Applications
|Bâtiments industriels||Walls, roofs, partition walls|
|Entrepôts||Cold storage, food processing plants|
|Bâtiments commerciaux||Exterior cladding, facade systems|
|Infrastructure||Railway stations, airports, metro projects|
|Bâtiments résidentiels||Villa projects, apartments, housing|
|Modular Buildings||Portable offices, medical centers, schools|
|Marine Industry||Ships, cruise liner interiors|
|Industrie automobile||Trailers, caravans|
The combination of high strength, low weight and thermal insulation properties make sandwich panels suitable for both structural and cold room applications. Pre-painted steel is commonly used for construction panels while stainless steel is preferred for hygiene-critical areas.
Sandwich Panel Roll Forming Machine Suppliers
There are several global equipment manufacturers supplying sandwich panel production lines. Some leading suppliers include:
Sandwich Panel Roll Forming Machine Manufacturers
|FOM Machinery (FOMCO)||Taïwan|
When selecting a sandwich panel roll forming machine supplier, some important factors to consider are:
- R&D capabilities and technical expertise
- Experience in delivering such projects
- In-house equipment manufacturing capabilities
- Flexibility for customization
- After-sales service and maintenance support
- Global presence and sales infrastructure
- Cost competitiveness
- Production proven performance and reliability
The supplier capability ultimately determines the performance, efficiency and return on investment from the sandwich panel production line. Hence buyers must evaluate suppliers based on all these aspects.
Sandwich Panel Roll Forming Machine Cost Economics
The price of sandwich panel roll forming machines varies based on:
Sandwich Panel Roll Forming Machine Price Range
|Paramètres||Échelle des prix|
|Capacité de production||$100,000 to $500,000|
|Niveau d'automatisation||Manual < Semi Auto < Fully Auto|
|Width and Thickness Range||Higher capacity = Higher price|
|Additional Modules||Printing, laminating, stacking, etc.|
|Brand and Quality||Premium brands are costlier|
Manufacturers normally quote customized machine prices based on the project requirements and specifications provided by buyers. Small manual lines start from around $100k while large automated sandwich panel production lines are over $500k in cost.
Cost Economics: Assuming medium production capacity of 15 mpm and 750 mm width, with semi-auto core fill and stacker module, the approximate investment for such a sandwich panel roll forming machine would be around $250,000.
With 3 work shifts, it corresponds to annual production capacity of over 550,000 m2 of sandwich panels. Considering sandwich panel cost of $3/m2, theannual revenue generating potential is $1.65 million.
This indicates favorable economics – payback within 1 year and IRR of 30-40% from the sandwich panel roll forming machine investment.
Sandwich Panel Roll Forming Machine – Design and Functionality
Sandwich panel roll forming lines are engineered for optimum performance, precision and reliability. Some of the key design aspects include:
Machine Design Metrics
|Précision||Rollers tolerance within 0.02 mm for profile precision|
|Robustness||Roll forming mill frame built with heavy duty steel structures|
|Polyvalence||Quick changeover parts to switch profiles with minimum downtime|
|Durabilité||Hardened rollers and components for long working life|
|Sécurité||Full safety guards, emergency stops for operator protection|
|Automatisation||Servo control for automatic size changeovers|
|Adaptabilité||Capability for future upgrades and modular expansions|
- Programmable PLC logic for process control
- HMI with touch screen for data inputs
- Software for production data monitoring
- Wireless remote control for convenient operation
- Easy size adjustments through button control
- Modular electrical design for quick maintenance
- SCADA connection for remote monitoring
The structural design and automation features ensure consistent sandwich panel quality with minimum operator intervention. Advanced machines also have Industry 4.0 capabilities for data logging and analytics.
Sandwich Panel Roll Forming Machine – Working Standards
Sandwich panel roll forming machines need to conform to certain design and working standards for optimum performance. Some of the key standards include:
Sandwich Panel Roll Forming Machine Standards
|Conception du rouleau||Roll shafts tolerance per DIN, ANSI or JIS standards|
|Roll Hardness||HRC hardness for tool steel rolls – 50 to 62|
|Roll Parallelism||Roll parallelism within 0.02mm for profile precision|
|Roll Surface||Grinding and polishing surface roughness less than Ra 0.4 μm|
|Machine Alignment||Roll stations alignment within 0.05mm variation|
|Feeding Accuracy||Servo feed precision better than 1%|
|Process Control||Automated process control with PLC and HMI|
|Electricals||Motors, cables, control cabinet as per IEC standards|
|Sécurité||Emergency stop, guards per machinery safety standards|
|Inspection de la qualité||Systems for checking panel geometry, thickness, defects|
The design, manufacturing and assembly of the roll forming machine is done as per international workshop standards and precision engineering principles. This ensures high process consistency and panel quality.
Step-by-step Roll Forming Process
The typical sequence of steps in the sandwich panel production process through a roll forming machine line is explained below:
Sandwich Panel Roll Forming Process Workflow
- Sheet coils loaded on the decoiler
- Sheet fed through the roll former
- Top sheet goes through progressive roll forming
- Bottom sheet also roll formed below
- Insulation core automatically picked and placed
- Core gets glued between the sheets
- Roller press squeezes core between the sheets
- Formed sandwich panel proceeds to end cutters
- Cut to length panels conveyed to exit
- Laminating and printing stations (optional)
- Panels automatically stacked at the exit
- Stacked panels bundled and shifted using crane/forklift
The sandwich panel emerges with a continuous process without any width restrictions. The entire process is automated for minimal human intervention. Advanced process control minimizes defects and improves quality.
Installation et mise en service
Sandwich panel roll forming machines require proper installation and commissioning at the buyer’s site for optimum performance. This includes:
Sandwich Panel Machine Installation
- Civil works – foundations, flooring
- Unpacking and positioning the machine
- Leveling, alignment and grouting of the frame
- Electrical connections to control panel
- Pneumatic connections to air compressor
- Trial runs to test functions
- Calibration of components
- Programming control logic and HMI
- Loading tools and recipes
- Debugging and optimizing process
- Final commissioning runs and approval
The machine supplier will depute engineers to supervise the installation and ensure correct process set-up. This is crucial to achieve the production quality and efficiency as per machine capability.
Operation and Maintenance
Effective operation and preventive maintenance procedures need to be followed after commissioning to maximize performance and availability of the sandwich panel roll forming machine.
Sandwich Panel Machine – Operation
- Ensure electrical safety precautions
- Operators must wear safety equipment
- Check coil loading & feeding
- Monitor line speed, pressures, etc.
- Periodic quality checks during production
- Proper stacking and handling of finished panels
- Ensure smooth material flow in production line
- Follow standard operating procedures
- Proper shutdown, cleaning and maintenance schedule
- Daily cleaning and checking fluids, pressures
- Weekly – inspect electrical, pneumatic systems
- Monthly – roll and bearing inspection
- Quarterly – roll grinding if needed
- Yearly – gearbox oil change
- On condition maintenance using sensors
- Keep spares for wear parts – blades, gears, etc.
- Maintain production records and logs
Proper training of machine operators is critical. The maintenance schedule must follow recommendations of the supplier’s manual. This increases the sandwich panel line availability, lowers defects and improves overall equipment effectiveness.
How to Select the Right Sandwich Panel Roll Forming Machine
Choosing the appropriate sandwich panel roll forming machine requires evaluating various technical and commercial factors:
Sandwich Panel Machine – Buying Considerations
- Production volume requirements
- Product mix – panel sizes, thicknesses, volumes
- Level of automation needed
- Types of coils – steel, aluminum etc.
- Additional secondary operations needed
- Budget constraints and investment capacity
- Production area space availability
- Skilled manpower availability
- Availability of raw materials
- Growth plans for future capacity expansion
- Technical support vs Do-It-Yourself (DIT)
- Financing options available
- Expected ROI and payback period
- Local regulations and safety standards
This needs to be followed by systematic supplier evaluation:
Supplier Assessment Parameters
- Experience and past execution record
- In-house manufacturing capabilities
- Engineering design expertise
- Flexibility for customization
- Cost competitiveness
- Quality control and validation process
- After-sales service infrastructure
- Training and support system
- Financial stability and credibility
Visiting reference sites and production facilities of shortlisted suppliers is recommended. Comparing the pros and cons of each option will help make an informed sandwich panel roll forming machine buying decision.
Pros and Cons of Sandwich Panel Roll Forming Machines
- High production speeds and volumes
- Low operating costs due to automation
- Qualité et précision constantes
- Minimal material wastage – 3% to 5%
- Low maintenance and process control
- Compact, continuous production method
- Flexibility to make different profiles
- Scalability for capacity expansions
- High initial capital investment
- Needs skilled technicians for operation
- Size constraints – max width around 1.2m
- Limited capability for constant profile changes
- Not suitable for very small batch production
- Require good monitoring and maintenance
For most buyers who require medium to high volumes, the productivity and quality benefits outweigh the limitations. Correct supplier selection and machine maintenance are key for reliability.
Sandwich Panel Roll Forming Vs Other Methods
Comparison to Traditional Methods
|Manuel||Lower cost||Very slow speed|
|Press Brake Bending||Simple equipment||High labor, material waste|
|CNC Folder||Haute précision||Slow speed, high tooling cost|
|Forme rouleau||High speed, low cost||High initial investment|
Among metal forming methods, roll forming is the optimal process for sandwich panel production due to the speed, quality and cost benefits.
Comparison to Other Production Lines
|Sheet Metal Roll Forming||Lower cost, flexible||Cannot make sandwich panels|
|Puff Panel Machine||Good insulation||Lower strength|
|EPS Panel Machine||Low investment||Quality limitations|
|Sandwich Panel Machine||High production, strength, insulation||Higher cost than other lines|
Sandwich panel roll forming machines offer the best balance of productivity, strength and thermal properties compared to alternate production lines.
Sandwich Panels vs Other Building Materials
|Concrete||High strength||Low insulation|
|Bricks||Low cost||Intensive labor|
|Wood||Good insulation||Risk of moisture|
|Sandwich Panels||Strength & insulation||Higher cost|
Sandwich panels made by these machines provide the dual benefits of structural rigidity and thermal insulation at optimal cost.
Latest Trends in Sandwich Panel Roll Forming Technology
Some latest innovations and trends shaping sandwich panel roll forming machine design:
- Transition to Industry 4.0 with real-time data analytics
- Incorporating IoT for preventive maintenance
- Servo-electric roll forming for precision control
- Automatic tool change systems for quick changeovers
- Integrating quality inspection systems
- Advanced safety systems and remote monitoring
- Developments in new insulating core materials
- Focus on energy efficiency and lean manufacturing
- Multi-layer sandwich panels with functional coatings
- Roll formed panels with brick, stone or wood finishes
Sandwich panel roll forming technology continues to evolve with automation and digitization trends. Manufacturers need to stay updated regarding latest developments to maximize their competitive edge.
Q: What is the typical production speed of these machines?
A: Production speed ranges from 10 to 25 meters per minute depending on machine capacity and panel thickness. Larger capacity roll formers can achieve speeds of up to 40 m/min.
Q: What level of maintenance is required?
A: Sandwich panel machines need weekly and monthly maintenance checks along with yearly overhaul. Proper maintenance improves productivity and reduces downtime.
Q: What is the typical ROI from these machines?
A: With proper planning and capacity utilization, the payback is usually between 1-2 years. ROI ranges from 30% to 50% for well managed sandwich panel production lines.
Q: What coil thickness range can these machines handle?
A: Standard machines can process steel coils of thickness between 0.4mm to 1.2mm. Some heavy duty models can also handle coils up to 2mm thickness.
Q: What are the training requirements for machine operators?
A: The supplier provides comprehensive training to the customer’s team on areas like machine operations, process control, maintenance and troubleshooting.
Q: What is the warranty period offered?
A: Most sandwich panel roll forming machine manufacturers provide a standard 12 month warranty on the equipment. Spares and service support is provided for the long term.
Q: What is the typical production plant space needed?
A: Approximate plant area requirement is 30m x 10m for a medium capacity sandwich panel production line with unload, stack and bundle sections.
Q: What is the electrical power needed for these machines?
A: The power requirement is typically in the range of 25 kW to 60 kW depending on the line speed and automation levels. The supply voltage is 380V AC 3 Phase 50 Hz.