Double layer cold roll forming machines are specialized equipment used to continuously bend and form metal coils into customized double layer profiles with high precision and efficiency. This advanced forming technology finds wide application across industries like construction, infrastructure, automotive, agriculture, logistics, and others.
This comprehensive guide will explore all key aspects of double layer roll formers from working principles, main parts, technical specifications, various machine types, major applications, installation and operation, to tips for purchasing.
Overview of Double Layer Cold Roll Forming Machine
Cold roll forming is a continuous and efficient sheet metalworking method to manufacture customized profiles by progressively bending metal strips through a series of roller dies, without heating the material. It harnesses the elasticity of metals to shape them into complex cross-sections.
A double layer cold roller forms two metal strips simultaneously into different profiles which get overlapped. This enables creating hollow, strong, and lightweight sections like tubes, box channels, etc. economically.
Advantages of Double Layer Cold Roll Forming
- High production efficiency and speeds
- Consistent quality and dimensional precision
- Low tooling costs compared to other processes
- Minimal material waste
- Energy-efficient cold working method
- Capability to form complex, hollow cross-sections
- Versatile ability to process various metals
Main Components of a Double Layer Cold Roll Former
The key parts in a double layer cold roll forming line are:
- Decoiler units to hold and unroll the coils
- Guiding rollers to straighten strips
- Main rolling mill with roller dies for progressive bending
- Cutting unit to cut profiles to desired length
- Hydraulic system to apply pressure on rollers
- Control console to input settings and operate
Double layer roll forming involves:
- Feeding two coils of sheet metal into entry guides
- Progressively bending each strip through different roller stations
- Forming them into specific profile shapes
- Layering the profiles together as they exit
- Cutting the double layer profile to length by a shear
- Automated handling of formed pieces
Types of Double Layer Cold Roll Forming Machines
There are several configurations of double layer cold roll formers suited for different production needs:
Types by Structure
Compact Double Layer Roll Former
- Smaller design with forming sections close together
- Limited profile sizes and smaller production
- Lower cost design for small profiles
Modular Double Layer Roll Former
- Forming sections separated on frame for access
- Flexible and adjustable to change tooling
- Higher capacities and larger profiles
- Easy maintenance and operation
Types by Automation Level
Manual Double Layer Roll Forming Line
- Manual loading and unloading of coils
- Manual cutting of profiles
- Basic controls, suitable for small batch production
Semi-Automatic Double Layer Roll Forming Line
- Automated decoiler units to unroll coils
- Powered cutting unit for profiles
- Programmable control panel for forming
- Increased throughput with some automation
Fully Automatic Double Layer Roll Forming Line
- Automated coil loading and unloading
- Servo motor powered rolling sections
- Auto-cutting unit with length control
- Advanced programmable logic control
- For high volume, continuous production
Types by Number of Profiles Formed
Single Double Layer Profile Roll Forming Machine
- Produces one consistent profile design
- Fixed tooling for dedicated high volume runs
- Lower tooling costs
Multi-Profile Double Layer Roll Forming Machine
- Flexible tooling to produce different profiles
- Quick die changeovers between profiles
- Higher tooling costs but multipurpose usage
Key Specifications of Double Layer Cold Roll Formers
Double layer roll forming machines are available in a wide range of sizes, speeds, and capacities. The main parameters and features that define their technical specifications are:
Table 1: Typical Technical Specifications of Double Layer Cold Roll Formers
|Forming Speed||10 – 120 m/min|
|Max Strip Width||50 – 200 mm|
|Max Strip Thickness||0.3 – 2 mm|
|Min Bending Radius||0.5T – 1.5T (T=thickness)|
|Profile Cut Length||1 – 10 m|
|Power Supply||220V/380V, 50/60 Hz|
|Machine Weight||1500 – 10000 kg|
|Working Level Noise||≤78 dB|
Design and Construction
- Made of steel frames with precision machined parts
- Heavy-duty gearbox and couplings
- Hardened steel roller dies and shafts
- Linear guide rails for smooth rolling
- PLC control system with HMI touchscreen
- Engineered-to-order for custom profiles
- Flexible quick tooling changeover
- Able to integrate with other metalworking equipment
- Can automate material handling and post-forming operations
Applications of Double Layer Cold Roll Forming Machines
Double layer roll formers produce open hollow profiles combining two formed sheets. This makes the sections lightweight yet rigid, enabling varied applications:
Table 2: Major Applications of Double Layer Cold Roll Formed Profiles
|Construction||Wall panels, metal roofing, decking, purlins|
|Infrastructure||Highway signs, solar panel frames, cable trays|
|Automotive||Chassis parts, trailers, bus bodies|
|Agriculture||Greenhouses, livestock buildings, silos|
|Logistics||Racking, shelving, conveyor guards, trolleys|
|Furniture||Table legs, chair frames, office partitions|
|HVAC||Air ducts and ventilation components|
Certain unique characteristics of cold roll formed double layer sections like high strength, corrosion resistance, easy installation, and recyclability make them suitable for these applications.
The hollow box-shaped design provides rigidity while reducing weight and material usage. Custom profiles can be created to fit product requirements.
Installation and Operation of Double Layer Cold Roll Forming Machines
Proper installation and operation practices are vital for double layer roll formers to function at peak performance and output quality profiles consistently.
- Firm level foundation to bolt down machine without vibration
- Adequate space around for material loading and unloading
- Proper electric connections by skilled technicians
- Commissioning by engineer to calibrate and test functions
- Staff training for safe operation and maintenance
Table 3: Typical Operation Procedure of a Double Layer Cold Roll Former
|1||Load coils of strip material into decoiler stations|
|2||Thread strips through entry guides and straightening rolls|
|3||Input production settings on control panel|
|4||Initiate automatic operation to feed, form, cut profiles|
|5||Monitor line for smooth running and quality checks|
|6||Unload finished cut profiles and bundle for storage|
|7||Stop machine to change coils or adjust tools as needed|
- The line should run at steady optimized speeds for maximum output.
- Any irregularities in formed profiles should be addressed promptly.
- Daily cleaning and lubrication as per maintenance schedule.
Maintenance of Double Layer Cold Roll Forming Machines
Routine maintenance is essential for any roll forming machine to maximize its working life, performance, and output quality.
Table 4: Recommended Maintenance Schedule
|Daily||Cleaning||Remove dirt, metal chips using brush, air gun|
|Daily||Lubrication||Apply machine oil on bearings, shafts, guides|
|Weekly||Fastener Check||Ensure tightness of bolts, nuts, couplings|
|Monthly||Bearing Check||Inspect for sound and wear, re-grease|
|Quarterly||Gearbox Oil||Check levels, change oil if required|
|Yearly||Hydraulics||Check fluid levels, change filters|
|Yearly||Calibration||Validate dimensions, settings by engineer|
- Keep maintenance logs to record work done.
- Schedule thorough annual inspections for longer machine life.
- Replace damaged or worn parts like roller dies immediately.
Proper maintenance keeps the double layer roll former working smoothly, improves safety, and reduces overall operating costs.
How to Select a Double Layer Cold Roll Forming Machine
Choosing the right double layer cold roll forming line for your production application involves evaluating these key aspects:
Table 5: Key Considerations for Selecting a Double Layer Cold Roll Former<div>
|Parameter||Details to Check|
|Type of Machine||Compact, modular, manual, auto, single/multi-profile|
|Forming Capacity||Speed, strip widths and thicknesses, profile sizes|
|Production Volume||Batch or mass production requirements|
|Tooling Design||Fixed or quick change dies, custom profile design|
|Controls||PLC, HMI, sensor integration for auto operation|
|Additional Functions||Decoiling, straightening, cutting, stacking|
|Customer Support||Commissioning, operator training, after-sales service|
|Budget||Pricing for desired specifications and production needs|
- Determine current and future production needs first.
- Get design support from suppliers for custom tooling.
- Ensure adequate after-sales technical support is available.
- Compare models from different manufacturers against parameters.
- Select reputable supplier who can deliver high uptime.
This enables making an optimal equipment selection for roll forming applications.
Pros and Cons of Double Layer Cold Roll Forming Machines
Table 6: Advantages and Limitations of Double Layer Cold Roll Formers<div>
|– High production speed and volumes||– High initial investment cost|
|– Consistent and precision quality||– Fixed or costly tooling changes|
|– Low operating costs||– Limited bending radius and wall angle|
|– Minimal material wastage||– Vertical space required for forming sections|
|– Automated and safe working||– Noise generation during operation|
|– Ability to form complex and hollow shapes||– Skill needed for specialized operation|
|– Wide range of material and coating compatibility||– Limitation on minimum material thickness|
|– Easy integration with other processes||– Regular maintenance requirement|
Double Layer Cold Roll Forming Machine Suppliers
Many equipment manufacturers specialize in supplying high-performance double layer cold roll forming lines. Here are some leading global suppliers:
Table 7: Major Suppliers of Double Layer Cold Roll Formers<div>
|Form Process Engineering||UK|
|SAB North America||USA|
When selecting a supplier, ensure they can customize the roll former as per your requirements, provide quick service support, offer competitive pricing, and have a proven track record of delivering high-quality machines using the latest technology.
The price of double layer cold roll forming machines depends on:
- Type of machine (size, capacity, automation level)
- Forming speed and production output needs
- Level of customization for tooling
- Additional integrated functions like decoiling, stacking
- Manufacturer’s brand and production costs
- Overall the price range is $100,000 to $500,000.
Q: What materials can be formed on a double layer cold roll former?
A: Common materials include mild steel, stainless steel, aluminum, copper, brass. With appropriate tooling, galvanized, pre-painted, and high strength steels can also be formed.
Q: How to design custom profile tooling for a double layer roll former?
A: Work with your machine supplier’s engineering team to design profile geometries and roller die layouts based on product design needs and manufacturing feasibility analysis.
Q: What safety aspects should be considered when operating a double layer cold roll former?
A: Ensure machine guarding, emergency stops, maintenance of electrical and hydraulic systems. Provide staff training on safe material handling, machine operations, and using PPE.
Q: How to troubleshoot common problems with double layer roll formed profiles?
A: Issues like twisting, flaring, waviness, etc. can arise due to improper raw material properties, wear of roll dies, or machine calibration. Consult your machine supplier for technical support.
Q: What factors affect the speed and production rate of double layer roll forming?
A: Strip width and thickness, complexity of profile shape, level of automation, tooling precision, and machine rigidity determine maximum forming speed.
Double layer cold roll forming provides a high productivity solution for manufacturing hollow and lightweight formed metal sections with accurate dimensions. This technology will continue gaining prominence across many industries due to its efficiency, precision, and design flexibility.
Selecting the right forming line for specific production needs requires understanding key technical parameters, machine configurations, tooling requirements, and supplier capabilities. When implemented properly, double layer roll formers can significantly enhance manufacturing operations with their high speeds, consistency, and reliability.